Wednesday, December 9, 2009

16 Days Until Christmas

I was so inspired last night by reading my favorite children's Christmas stories by author Jan Brett. Her illustrations are thought provoking and beautiful, her stories are simple and sweet, filled with anticipation of the coming celebration of Christmas. Her houses are organized and simple, clean and comfortable, natural and light...all the things that make surroundings wonderful to me. I found myself becoming excited to decorate the house, bake some cookies, and wrap the gifts. I also fell in love with my heritage again- Scandinavian, almost 100%... or so I believed as a child. Why is it so comforting to read the same things over again each year, eat the same things, listen to the same music, and decorate with the same decorations? Our habits make us who we are more than our heritage. All said, I'm off to the attic to pull out the memories.

No comments: